Friday, February 4, 2011

Selflessness

I could get used to only going to class on Monday and Friday :P.  Besides the cold and not being able to leave the apartment, I like blizzards haha.  While classes getting cancelled 3 days in a row is all well and good, it's not what I'm blogging about today.  Is blogging the right word?  Hmm, this may be more of a rant on my soap box...

Anyway, let's talk about SELFLESSNESS.  Is it important?  Well, let's put it this way: if you didn't answer yes, I am deeply worried about you.  Of course it's important!  Self-sacrifice is one of the most effective ways to show someone you care about them.  I devoted my whole medical school personal statement to selflessness.  My parents sacrificed living in Taiwan, being close to their families, their dream jobs, and just general comfort for me and my brother.  They had to start from scratch when they came to the U.S.  Can you even imagine that?  I can't.  Our country is a free nation because of self-sacrifice.  We are free because of every soldier who risked his/her life for every family and future generations.

Now, I'm a firm believer of teaching by example.  This is also the reason selflessness is such an important value of mine.  Why?  Because Jesus taught us selflessness through example.  He healed, casted miracles, and performed the most important form of selflessness: His life.  He died on the cross for us.  All of us.  He DIED for us.  I know I don't deserve that.  Not even close.  And yet, He still did it.  See, that's an incredible thing.  We don't deserve it, but it's still provided for us.  I don't deserve half the things my parents provide for me, and yet they still do.  They pay for my schooling, living situations, food, gas, etc.  I don't deserve any of that.  I should have to work for everything like they had to.

So why provide all of this for me?  Why do my parents spoil me like this?  Why did Jesus die for me on the cross?  Why do I have such great friends who are there for me?  Because they care about me.  And they all know I would do the exact same for them.  Relationships don't work without self-sacrifice.  Yeah, it may work at first, but in the long haul it's just going to crumble.  People who take, take, and take can only keep it up for so long.  You have to give to receive.  More importantly, you have to give without the expectation of receiving.  You give because you want to.  You give and sacrifice to show you care.

I could go on about this subject for days, but I'll stop now.  Just something to reflect on, like usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment