Thursday, October 28, 2010

Relationships

Friends, family, significant others.  All relationships we build over our lifetime.  Communication, trust, loyalty, emotions, opinions, and more are all building blocks, if you will, of relationships.  Some relationships may rely more heavily on certain building blocks.  Personally, mine are heavily dependent on trust, loyalty, and communication.  What are yours dependent on?  Just something to ponder.

The reason I bring relationships up is because someone I care very deeply about just broke up with his/her significant other.  I don't want to disclose who it is because I don't have permission.  Needless to say, they are now "just friends."

Just friends... We hear that phrase so often, and for some reason it usually has a negativity to it.  What is so bad about being just friends?  Friends are good.  They're great... amazing.  I guess that next level of intimacy is much more satisfying than being... just friends.

Just friends... Hmm.  Have you ever been in that predicament?  I think most of us have.  I have.  It's not bad though.  It's just... different.  This whole event brings a question to my mind: Do I want to be in a relationship?  You know what?  I'm not sure.  There are many times when I wish I was in one, but other times I don't.  Yes, it would be nice to have someone already there to confide in, but do I have enough time for one?  This has been an issue that's been on my heart for a decent time now.  In the end, I know that God has a plan for me, so I try not to dwell on it too much.

Hearing the news about the break-up from someone so close to me has made me realize how fragile we are.  How fragile our relationships are.  How fragile our emotions are.  But hey, whenever something unexpected or unfortunate happens, the same phrase always comes to mind: "Everything happens for a reason."  No matter how hard we try to control our lives, how much we want to have stable relationships, it's just not in our control.  We may not know why these unfortunate events happen, but it is for the better.  Don't worry, all of our questions will be answered in time.  God has everything under control.

I'll end with a very powerful excerpt from The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis because I think it relates well to what I'm talking about...


"Is - is he a man?" asked Lucy
"Aslan a man!" said Mr. Beaver sternly. "Certainly not. I tell you he is the King of the wood and the son of the great Emperor-Beyond-the-Sea. Don't you know who is the King of Beasts? Aslan is a lion, the Lion, the great Lion."
"Ooh," said Susan, "I thought he was a man. Is he - quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion."
"That you will, dearie, and make no mistake," said Mrs. Beaver; "if there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they're either braver than most or else just silly."
"Then he isn't safe?" said Lucy.
"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver; "don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the king I tell you."

No comments:

Post a Comment